This famous and well known town, found at the base of the wash, has been a port since the Middle Ages.
The Bishop’s Lynn
King’s Lynn was once known as Bishop’s Lynn. The settlement, formed around the 11th Century, was owned by Bishop De Losinga from whom this original name derives. The word Lynn means pool and probably referred to a tidal pool created by the Great River Ouse. In 1101, the people of the town were granted permission to hold a Saturday Market which has taken place ever since, even today. For more information visit our History Page on the town portal.
For more information about the town, please see our King’s Lynn portal site.